Here are some of the top 2012 Illinois high school football prospects, Interstingly, there are quite a few linemen and linebacker prospects in this state. We could have probably added another 10 to this list, but we’ll cap it off at 26 for now. If you think we missed somebody, please feel free to submit a player in the reply section. Remember, this is just a “pre-season” listing. What matters in the end is how the players on the list, and not on the list, perform during the upcoming season.
1. David Smith, 6′ 1″ 190 pounds, Running Back from Bremen High School. A playmaker with tremendous cutting and cutback ability. Highlight video, Here!
2. J.J. Robertson, Reciever from Lincoln-Way East High School. Can catch the ball in any kind of situation: on the run, in coverage, sideline, etc…and is also a pretty good kick returner. Highlight video, Here!
3. Vincent Valentine, 6′ 4″ 315 pounds, Defensive Lineman from Edwardsville High School. A beast of a player to anchor the middle of the defensive line. Also a stand-out shotput thrower.
4. Jordan Diamond, 6′ 6″ 290 pounds, Offensive Tackle from Simeon High School. A big guy that can move pretty well. Very good at getting downfield and blocking somebody. Highlight video, Here!
5. Dan Voltz, 6′ 4″ 290 pounds, Offensive Tackle from Barrington High School. A very strong offensive lineman with the ability to move defensive linemen deep off the line of scrimmage. Highlight video, Here!
6. Anthony Standifer, Cornerback from Crete-Monee High School. Defensive back with very good tackling ability. with 9 interceptions and 44 tackles last year. Getting tons of interest from schools all over the country. Highlight video, Here!
7. Vontrell Williams, 6′ 2″ 265 pounds. Defensive Lineman from Mt. Carmel High School. See Highlght video, Here!
8. Nick Mangieri, 6′ 5″ 230 pounds, Linebacker from Dunlap High School. Versatile player who can play a multitude of positions. Good eye for the ball. See his junior highlight video, Here!
9. Tommy Schutt, 6′ 3″ 290 pounds, Defensive Tackle from Glenbard West High School. One of the top players in the country who has been described as a freak of nature. Takes on the blocks extremely well to make the plays. See his highlight video, Here!
10. Faith Ekakitie, 6′ 3″ 275 pounds, Defensive End from Lake Forest Academy. Originally from Canada, did not even start playing football until his sophmore year in high school. A big, strong athletic player who can run for his size.
11. Wes Lunt, 6′ 6″ 205 pounds, Quarterback from Rochester High School. A big quarterback who’s physical. Passed for 3,136 yards and 30 touchdowns with four interceptions last season.
12. Robert Gregory, 6′ 2″ 185 pounds, Quarterback from Simeon Vocational School. A dual threat quarterback with the speed to run and the arm to throw. In one game last season, he rushed for 246 yards and three touchdowns while completing 19 of 26 passes for 282 yards and three touchdowns.
13. Jaleel Johnson, 6′ 3″ 290 pounds, Defensive Tackle from Montini Catholic High School. Physical, strong, and quick. Could also play offense, although better suited for defense.
14. Mike Cotton, 6′ 3″ 210 pounds, Outside Linebacker from O’Fallon High School. Long, strong armed athlete. Nine sacks and 73 tackeles last season. See his junior highlight video, Here!
15. Malin Jones, 6′ 2″ 210 pounds, Running Back from Joliet Catholic Academy. Averaged 10.8 yards per carry and scored 14 touchdowns as a junior. Committed to Northwestern.
17. Ryan Ward, 6′ 6″ 270 pounds, Offensive Tackle from Providence Catholic High School. Excellent pass blocker with good footwork. Has the body frame to get bigger and stronger.
18. Antonio Morrison, 6′ 3″ 220 pounds, Outside Linebacker from Bolingbrook High School. Getting lots of interest from schools all over the country. Can probably play inside or outside linebacker.
19. Robert Bain, 6′ 3″ 280 pounds, Offensive Guard from Bolingbrook High School. A big, smart left tackle who is relentless blocking defenders. See his highlight video, Here!
20. Mitch Keppy, 6′ 5″ 280 pounds, Offensive Tackle from Riverdale Sr High School. Outstanding wrestler who will probably play guard in college. Father played for Iowa as a defensive lineman. Committed to Iowa.
21. Corey Thomas, 6′ 4″ 290 pounds, Defensive Tackle from Lindblom College Prep. Six sacks and 66 tackles last season.
22. Anthony Maddie, 6′ 2″ 195 pounds, Quarterback from Aurora Christian School. Another big-time dual-threat quarterback. See his highlight video, Here! And that first leaping touchdown really sets the tone for his highlights.
23. Dean Lowry, 6′ 5″ 225 pounds, Defensive End from Rockford Boylan High School. Nine sacks last season and a frame to build on.
24. Lemontiez Ivy, 6′ 3″ 225 pounds, Quarterback from East St. Louis High School. Nice-sized quarterback that can throw the ball well.
25. Martez Walker, 5′ 10″ 170 pounds, Running Back from Brother Rice High School. Great speed and skills.
26. Austin Smaha, 6′ 1″ 205 pounds, Running Back from Belvidere North High School who ran for 1,625 yards in only 9 games last season. Expecting even better things out of him this season. Could also play safety.